The Birds and Goytre House
Colonel Henry Bird (born 1748) purchased Goytre House, Monmouthshire and the family remained living there until 1949.
Colonel Henry Bird who originated from Plympton, Devon, purchased Goytre House around 1785 and brought up his large family of twelve children. At least one of each future generation continued living there right up until just after the end of WW1.
In 1863, their surname Bird was changed to Byrde by deed poll. Why ?
The house then apparently became a residential home for the elderly run by the local authority before becoming a private unit treating the brain injured. the property was renamed as "Aderyn" which is Welsh for Bird !
The house is Grade 2 listed Georgian, built in 1776. It was substantially modified through the years to suit changing family requirements with the addition of columns and an unusual Orangery. Once owned by a curator for Kew, the gardens offer a variety of unusual trees and plants.
This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 9.0.4, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2017